Union suffers 2-1 loss to San Jose Earthquakes
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - April 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Steven Lenhart scored his second goal of the game on a header in the final seconds of stoppage time to give the San Jose Earthquakes a 2-1 victory over the Philadelphia Union on Saturday night.
The second-half substitute also scored in the 76th minute to help San Jose improve to 6-1-1 and 3-0-1 on the road. The Western Conference-leading Earthquakes are 5-0-1 in their last six games.
Marvin Chavez assisted on both goals.
Gabriel Gomez scored in the 83rd minute for Philadelphia. The Union dropped to 2-4-1 in front of a sellout crowd of 18,581.
Philadelphia played without injured midfielders Roger Torres (knee surgery) and Brian Carroll (hamstring). In addition, midfielder Keon Daniel and defender Gabriel Farfan were out because of red cards accrued in the Union's 1-0 victory last week at Chivas USA.
Union manager Peter Nowak also was suspended for the game and one next week against Seattle. Assistant John Hackworth filled in.
(Copyright 2011 Philadelphia Union. Reprinted by permission)
philadelphia union, soccer
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos