Union beats German club FC Schalke 04 2-1
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - May 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chandler Hoffman scored in the 88th minute to give the Philadelphia Union a 2-1 victory over German club FC Schalke 04 on Wednesday night in an exhibition game.
Lionard Pajoy also scored for Philadelphia in the 21st minute, and Sergio Escudero tied it in the 41st minute in Schalke's first game in the United States since 1963.
Philadelphia improved to 4-0 in international exhibition games at PPL Park following 1-0 victories over Celtic FC, Chivas de Guadalajara and Everton.
The game might have been the last for Schalke midfielder Raul. The Spanish star officially wrapped up his Schalke career Saturday. The former Real Madrid striker spent two years in Gelsenkirchen, and has said he might play next year in Europe or possibly MLS.
Schalke recently finished third place in the German Bundesliga, earning an automatic spot next year in the Champions League group phase.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- No cheer uniforms for North Philadelphia Aztec squad
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting