Union beats German club FC Schalke 04 2-1
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - May 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chandler Hoffman scored in the 88th minute to give the Philadelphia Union a 2-1 victory over German club FC Schalke 04 on Wednesday night in an exhibition game.
Lionard Pajoy also scored for Philadelphia in the 21st minute, and Sergio Escudero tied it in the 41st minute in Schalke's first game in the United States since 1963.
Philadelphia improved to 4-0 in international exhibition games at PPL Park following 1-0 victories over Celtic FC, Chivas de Guadalajara and Everton.
The game might have been the last for Schalke midfielder Raul. The Spanish star officially wrapped up his Schalke career Saturday. The former Real Madrid striker spent two years in Gelsenkirchen, and has said he might play next year in Europe or possibly MLS.
Schalke recently finished third place in the German Bundesliga, earning an automatic spot next year in the Champions League group phase.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry