Union beats German club FC Schalke 04 2-1
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - May 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chandler Hoffman scored in the 88th minute to give the Philadelphia Union a 2-1 victory over German club FC Schalke 04 on Wednesday night in an exhibition game.
Lionard Pajoy also scored for Philadelphia in the 21st minute, and Sergio Escudero tied it in the 41st minute in Schalke's first game in the United States since 1963.
Philadelphia improved to 4-0 in international exhibition games at PPL Park following 1-0 victories over Celtic FC, Chivas de Guadalajara and Everton.
The game might have been the last for Schalke midfielder Raul. The Spanish star officially wrapped up his Schalke career Saturday. The former Real Madrid striker spent two years in Gelsenkirchen, and has said he might play next year in Europe or possibly MLS.
Schalke recently finished third place in the German Bundesliga, earning an automatic spot next year in the Champions League group phase.
philadelphia union, soccer
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 22 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 33 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 30 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 29 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 46 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 20 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
46 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
22 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with...
33 min ago