Union beats German club FC Schalke 04 2-1
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - May 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chandler Hoffman scored in the 88th minute to give the Philadelphia Union a 2-1 victory over German club FC Schalke 04 on Wednesday night in an exhibition game.
Lionard Pajoy also scored for Philadelphia in the 21st minute, and Sergio Escudero tied it in the 41st minute in Schalke's first game in the United States since 1963.
Philadelphia improved to 4-0 in international exhibition games at PPL Park following 1-0 victories over Celtic FC, Chivas de Guadalajara and Everton.
The game might have been the last for Schalke midfielder Raul. The Spanish star officially wrapped up his Schalke career Saturday. The former Real Madrid striker spent two years in Gelsenkirchen, and has said he might play next year in Europe or possibly MLS.
Schalke recently finished third place in the German Bundesliga, earning an automatic spot next year in the Champions League group phase.
philadelphia union, soccer
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands