Pontius' goal lifts United over Union 1-0
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - June 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chris Pontius scored in the 78th minute to lift D.C. United to their fourth straight victory with a 1-0 win over the Philadelphia Union on Saturday night.
D.C. United improved to 9-4-3 and moved four points ahead of the New York Red Bulls for first place in the Eastern Conference. It's their first four-game winning streak since the 2008 season.
The struggling Union (2-8-2) saw their winless skid reach six. They haven't won since a 1-0 victory over Chivas USA on April 21.
A sellout crowd of 18,876 showed up at PPL Park for the debut of interim manager John Hackworth, who was elevated when Peter Nowak stepped down on Wednesday after two-plus seasons.
Hackworth was an assistant coach under Nowak since the Union's inception in 2010.
But the Union sputtered again offensively and couldn't add to their season total of eight goals. That production is tied with Toronto FC for last in the 19-team league.
D.C. United leads the league with 29 goals.(Copyright 2011 Philadelphia Union. Reprinted by permission)
philadelphia union, soccer
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 10 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 7 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 49 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ