Adu scores as Union beat Toronto FC 3-0
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - July 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Freddy Adu, Gabriel Gomez and Antoine Hoppenot scored and the Philadelphia Union beat Toronto FC 3-0 on Sunday.
The Union dominated the play from start to finish, putting pressure on Toronto's defense while winning consecutive MLS games for the first time since mid-April.
Gomez beat goalkeeper Milos Kocic to the far right corner of the net in the 34th minute, on an assist from Jack McInerney. Philadelphia struck again two minutes later when Adu went flying down the left side and took a shot that also caught the far right of the net.
Hoppenot scored in the 78th minute, and Union defender Sheanon Williams preserved the shutout with a goal-line header in the 82nd minute.
Toronto FC picked up one of its two MLS victories this season against Philadelphia, a 1-0 decision on May 26.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings 58 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot 40 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 44 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 25 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos