Aston Villa beats Union 1-0 in exhibition
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - July 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Nathan Delfouneso scored in the 43rd minute, leading Aston Villa FC past the Philadelphia Union 1-0 in an exhibition match Wednesday night.
The Union, who have won three straight MLS matches for the first time in franchise history, didn't muster much offense against Aston Villa, which has won the FA Cup and First Division Championship seven times.
Philadelphia used most of its starters in the first half yet had trouble generating scoring chances. It was the first loss in five career international friendlies for the Union at PPL Park. Philadelphia defeated Celtic FC, Chivas de Guadalajara, Everton and FC Schalke 04.
The Union fell to 1-2 all-time against English Premier League opponents. They lost 2-1 to Manchester United in 2010 at Lincoln Financial Field, home of the Philadelphia Eagles, and defeated Everton last season.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 16 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 9 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 23 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 53 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
23 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
53 min ago