Aston Villa beats Union 1-0 in exhibition
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - July 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Nathan Delfouneso scored in the 43rd minute, leading Aston Villa FC past the Philadelphia Union 1-0 in an exhibition match Wednesday night.
The Union, who have won three straight MLS matches for the first time in franchise history, didn't muster much offense against Aston Villa, which has won the FA Cup and First Division Championship seven times.
Philadelphia used most of its starters in the first half yet had trouble generating scoring chances. It was the first loss in five career international friendlies for the Union at PPL Park. Philadelphia defeated Celtic FC, Chivas de Guadalajara, Everton and FC Schalke 04.
The Union fell to 1-2 all-time against English Premier League opponents. They lost 2-1 to Manchester United in 2010 at Lincoln Financial Field, home of the Philadelphia Eagles, and defeated Everton last season.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 13 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 12 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar