Aston Villa beats Union 1-0 in exhibition
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - July 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Nathan Delfouneso scored in the 43rd minute, leading Aston Villa FC past the Philadelphia Union 1-0 in an exhibition match Wednesday night.
The Union, who have won three straight MLS matches for the first time in franchise history, didn't muster much offense against Aston Villa, which has won the FA Cup and First Division Championship seven times.
Philadelphia used most of its starters in the first half yet had trouble generating scoring chances. It was the first loss in five career international friendlies for the Union at PPL Park. Philadelphia defeated Celtic FC, Chivas de Guadalajara, Everton and FC Schalke 04.
The Union fell to 1-2 all-time against English Premier League opponents. They lost 2-1 to Manchester United in 2010 at Lincoln Financial Field, home of the Philadelphia Eagles, and defeated Everton last season.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 41 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
41 min ago