Cooper scores twice, Red Bulls beat Union 2-0
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) - July 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Kenny Cooper headed in two goals, scoring for the first time since May 23, to lead the New York Red Bulls to a 2-0 victory over the Philadelphia Union on Saturday.
The Red Bulls (11-5-5) remain undefeated at home this season, improving to 7-0-3. New York is the lone MLS team without a loss at home.
Cooper, who did not start Wednesday's game against Chicago, scored off a pass from rookie Connor Lade in the 43rd minute, then added another header off a fine feed from Thierry Henry in the 58th minute. Cooper has 13 goals this season, four behind San Jose's Chris Wondolowski for the MLS lead.
Lade had two assists.
It was the second straight shutout victory for Bill Gaudette, who made two saves in place of injured starter Ryan Meara. Gaudette has started three straight games with two wins and a tie.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia 50 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 48 min ago
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier