Union takes 2-1 loss to Red Bulls
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) - March 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Thierry Henry scored his first goal of the season and to break a tie in the 81st minute and the New York Red Bulls gave coach Mike Petke his first triumph as their head coach, beating the Philadelphia Union 2-1 on Saturday.
Henry finished a beautiful feed from Peguy Luyindula to win it for the Red Bulls (1-2-2). Heath Pearce started the winning play when he sent a pass forward for Luyindula, who controlled the ball at the top corner of the penalty area before chipping a pass into the middle. Henry softened the ball with his right knee before sending a left-footed shot into the goal from 10 yards.
Dax McCarty's goal in the 55th minute snapped a scoreless string of 307 minutes for the Red Bulls and staked New York to a 1-0 lead. Philadelphia (2-2-0) tied it in the 63d minute when Casey Conor headed in a throw-in by Sheanon Williams that beat goalkeeper Luis Robles at the near post.
Juninho started the play that led to McCarty's goal with a corner kick. The ball bounced back to the Red Bulls' midfielder, who pushed the ball to Jonathan Steele. Steele knocked the ball into the middle of the box, where McCarty ran toward it and redirected it behind him with his right foot. The shot hit the right post and bounced in past goalkeeper Zac MacMath.
Henry, who came on for Tim Cahill in the 59th minute, fired up the crowd when he and Luyindula set up a chance in the 76th minute. Luyindula headed the ball to Henry in the box and the forward leaped up to strike a bicycle kick that sailed wide. That prompted the crowd to chant "Hen-ry! Hen-ry!"
Robles was nearly knocked from the game during injury time when a ball was sent into the box and Casey leaped into the keeper as he was about to catch the ball. After receiving attention from the medical staff, Robles finished the game. Casey received a yellow card for the charge.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 23 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd 14 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Florida Rep. Radel returns from rehab
56 min ago