Casey's 2 goals lift Union over Red Bulls 3-0
CHESTER, Pa. - June 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Conor Casey scored twice, lifting the Philadelphia Union past the New York Red Bulls 3-0 on Sunday.
Casey had a goal disallowed in the fourth minute because he was offside. But he responded with a goal three minutes later, and one in 64th minute.
Antoine Hoppenot also scored for the Union in the 88th minute.
The Union (7-5-4) pulled even with New York (7-6-4) for third place in the Eastern Conference standings. Philadelphia also snapped a five-match losing streak to the Red Bulls.
After Casey's first goal, the Union controlled the tempo the rest of the way.
In the 28th minute, New York's Lloyd Sam was given a red card following a hard foul on Philadelphia's Danny Cruz. New York was never able to generate much offense down a player.
It was the second straight loss for the Red Bulls, who hadn't played a league match in 22 days. They were without defender Jamison Olave and midfielder Juninho because of yellow-card accumulation.
The Union, meanwhile, hadn't played a league match since June 5, a 3-0 victory over the Columbus Crew.
philadelphia union, soccer
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
19 min ago
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
6 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
3 min ago