Casey's 2 goals lift Union over Red Bulls 3-0
CHESTER, Pa. - June 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Conor Casey scored twice, lifting the Philadelphia Union past the New York Red Bulls 3-0 on Sunday.
Casey had a goal disallowed in the fourth minute because he was offside. But he responded with a goal three minutes later, and one in 64th minute.
Antoine Hoppenot also scored for the Union in the 88th minute.
The Union (7-5-4) pulled even with New York (7-6-4) for third place in the Eastern Conference standings. Philadelphia also snapped a five-match losing streak to the Red Bulls.
After Casey's first goal, the Union controlled the tempo the rest of the way.
In the 28th minute, New York's Lloyd Sam was given a red card following a hard foul on Philadelphia's Danny Cruz. New York was never able to generate much offense down a player.
It was the second straight loss for the Red Bulls, who hadn't played a league match in 22 days. They were without defender Jamison Olave and midfielder Juninho because of yellow-card accumulation.
The Union, meanwhile, hadn't played a league match since June 5, a 3-0 victory over the Columbus Crew.
philadelphia union, soccer
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 11 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 50 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co. 30 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
50 min ago