The Murder of Rashe Allen
December 29, 2007 (WPVI) -- A night on the town turned deadly for a young man with his whole life ahead of him. Now his family is reaching out to community leaders and to you to find his killer.
22-year-old Rashe Allen had just graduated from community college and was going to Temple to become a caterer.
"He always enjoyed cooking from a young age," said Walter Butler, Rashe's father.
He held down two jobs while going to school and went to Church every Sunday. His father said he and Rashe had a very close relationship.
"We were more friends, brothers, we talked about everything."
The night of Saturday November 10th, Rashe went out with friends in North Philadelphia. While in line at a club at about one a.m. Sunday morning his car key remote alerted him that his car alarm was going off. Police said when he went to check on his car in the 900 block of 7th street, he was shot once in the head.
"He was my other half like when someone has a twin and that twin isn't there anymore your kind of lost," his father said.
Witnesses said after the shooting they saw two men get into a dark colored car and drive away. But so far no one has been able to give detectives a better description of the vehicle. And surveillance cameras in the area weren't pointed in the area of the shooting.
Police believe the shooting was the result of an attempted robbery. Rashe's gold chain with a "Last Supper" medallion is missing.
Outraged over the excessive violence in Philadelphia, Rashe's family wrote about his death to ABC's Good Morning America and Mayor-Elect Michael Nutter.
"What's going on out here has to stop," his father said.
His family is offering a five thousand dollar reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
"I asked that they would come forward and accept the consequences."
crimefighters, take action
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ