The Murder of Julia Kay
January 31, 2008 (WPVI) -- February 2nd marks a somber anniversary for the family of an elderly woman savagely beaten to death in her own home.
A surveillence camera caught Julia Kay going about her morning last year on Friday, February 2nd. The 82-year-old had just cashed her Social Security check and then walked to the Rite-Aid store in her South Philadelphia neighborhood.
"By the time she got to her house she was followed by a person of interest that police got on film at the local drug store," said Santo Montecalvo of the Citizens Crime Commission.
The man in question was wearing a black jacket with white patches on it.
Julia got back to her house in the 21-hundred block of Iseminger Street at about 9 a.m.
Police said someone followed Julia, forced her inside her home, repeatedly beat her and then left her to die in her basement. He got away with $20.
"She was a completely helpless victim. There's no way she could have fought this man, there's no way she could have resisted," said Capt. Michael Costello of the Philadelphia Police Department.
Police are interested in finding the man wearing the black coat with white patches. Just this week, they held a news conference showing a replica of the coat sent to them by the manufacturer.
"It has several patches around the chest and breast area there's also some patches on the sleeves something that certainly caught our attention."
There's a five-thousand dollar reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
"For someone 82-years-old who lived her whole life and to be killed in that manner it's crazy," Santo said.
crimefighters, take action, rick williams
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition