Deadly home invasion
Darby Twp., Pa.: February 28, 2008 (WPVI) -- A grandmother is smothered to death in her own bed and the crime may be linked to a member of her own family.
The 8-hundred block of Clifton Avenue in Darby Township, Delaware County is a quiet street with two churches. It's where 67-year-old Altimese Roberts called home for nearly 30 years.
"She was beautiful inside and out," said her daughter Vernite Jones.
Altimese was a mother of eight, grandmother of 22 and had one great-grandchild.
At the end of last year, the giant close knit family was changed forever.
"I received a phone call in the middle of the night from my nephew informing me that someone broke into my mother's home," Vernite said.
Overnight on Saturday December 8th, two armed men entered Altimese's home. They duct taped her legs and arms, gagged her and left her face down on her bed smothering her to death. Her 19-year-old grandson who was staying with her was also tied up.
"They asked him where was the money where is the money and that's the only thing they kept saying to him where is the money."
Police believe the gunmen were looking for drugs and money that belonged to Altimese's son. He was scheduled to begin serving a prison sentence for a drug conviction just days after Altimese's death.
The pair did get away with an undisclosed amount of money. Altimese's daughter said someone saw a strange car in the neighborhood at the time.
"Someone did mention there was a green car a newer model that looks like a Grand Am or a Grand Prix."
Police have also released a sketch of one of the suspects.
The family has put together a 10-thousand dollar reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the persons responsible.
"We want to bring justice to what happened to our mother."
crimefighters, take action
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Fire crews battle house fire in Montgomery...
51 min ago