The unsolved murder of Rameek Roland
South Philadelphia - May 9, 2008 (WPVI) -- A stop at one water ice stand in South Philadelphia can help keep a teenager's memory alive.
The image of 19-year-old Rameek Roland is on a water ice stand and looms large over a South Philadelphia neighborhood.
"I just try to keep it alive, keep his name alive."
His mother, Susan Blatch, said her parting words to her son Monday July 10th, 2006, were for him to be safe.
"We was talking and he said 'mom I gotta run somewhere' and I was like okay and said 'be careful'."
Then the worst happened, just before 11:30 that night Rameek was found shot multiple times in the 18-hundred block of 20th street in South Philadelphia. He died a short time later.
"To lose a child is very hurtful. I'm hurting."
Susan said the night unfolded with an argument between several of Rameek's friends but it's unclear who was actually involved. She believes her son's shooting wasn't random.
"My son was assassinated. He wasn't killed he was assassinated."
Police said they have a 'person of interest' already behind bars on unrelated charges. Rameek's family has put together a 5-thousand dollars reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
"I just can't get over it, I need justice. I need the public for help."
In the meantime, Susan works hard to keep Rameek's memory alive including running her own water ice stand in his honor.
"The violence has to stop."
crimefighters, take action
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ