Leigertwood's family raises reward to $50,000
September 24, 2009 (WPVI) -- 32-year-old Veno Leigertwood was a busy man. On top of going to school for his master's degree, he worked at a college prep program in the Philadelphia school district and co-owned a real estate business.
"He was everything that a mom, a wife, sister, everyone in the world would hope for," said Viola Leigertwood, Veno's mother.
Just before 7:00 Saturday morning September 13, 2008 Veno was heading out to a meeting with classmates at Eastern University.
While his wife and 7-month-old baby slept inside, neighbors said they heard several gunshots outside in the 6-hundred block of Church Lane in Yeadon, Delaware County. A passerby found Veno's body.
"All he noticed was a well dressed young man laying on the ground."
Veno had been shot point blank in the back of the head.
"My son did not deserve this."
A witness said she saw two men, one wearing a white hoodie and the other wearing a black hoodie, running from the area at the time of the shooting.
Police do not believe this was a random killing or a robbery, since his laptop computer, wallet, jewelry and watch were not taken.
His family has boosted the reward to $50,000, hoping it will encourage anyone to come forward with information that leads to an arrest and conviction.
"Whoever knows, heard, anything no matter how slight if they see anything please come forward," Viola said.His family added another thousand dollars to a reward bringing the total to $26,000 for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
crimefighters, take action
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 40 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 27 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 27 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death 32 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 4 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 36 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos