Who killed Jamal Ahmad?
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - January 30, 2009 (WPVI) -- A man indicted by federal authorities is later gunned down in his driveway. His family is shocked and wants justice.
"Jimmy" Jamal Ahmad and his brothers have owned and operated Three Cousin's Food Markets in North Philadelphia since the 70's.
His family said Ahmad was highly regarded in the Hispanic communities he served for his charitable works.
"There's no apparent motive here," said John Apeldorn of the Citizens Crime Commission.
The night of November 16th, Ahmad's body was found in the rear driveway of his home at "O" and Hunting Park.
"He had been shot in the chest."
Police said nothing was taken from him so it doesn't appear to be a robbery.
Authorities said Ahmad and his brothers were indicted earlier in 2008 accused of paying some employees 'under the table' to avoid paying more than two-million dollars in federal taxes.
But his family said they have no idea who would want to kill him.
"Maybe somebody saw something or somebody knows something."
In order to urge someone to come forward, there is a one-thousand dollar reward available through the Citizens Crime Commission.
"Our operators will take the information, relay it to police, give you a code number for that so we don't know who you are. And if that leads to an arrest and conviction you come down and collect the money," Apeldorn said.
CLICK HERE to follow Action News on Twitter
CLICK HERE to get Action News on your website
CLICK HERE to find Action News on Facebook
crimefighters, take action
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip 41 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 28 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
33 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
28 min ago