Who killed Chang Joe Ha?
OLNEY - April 18, 2009 (WPVI) -- 67-year-old Chang Joe Ha operated a laundromat in the 400 block of Chew Street for more than 10 years.
Mr. Ha closed up his business around 6:30 the night of Friday February 27th. Around that time, the restaurant owner next door said she heard shots fired. Mr. Ha's body was found lying next to his car with his pockets inside out. Justin Lee, who owns a restaurant in the area, was stunned by the news.
"I was shocked it was very outrageous."
Other merchants say two days prior to his death, Chang Joe Ha had a loud argument with a customer who apparently didn't have her receipt.
They say police were often called by Mr. Ha for similar disagreements with customers. Police aren't sure if any of that led to Mr. Ha's death.
Lee says he wants to use this tragic incident to clear up a couple of misconceptions about his people.
"They say Asian people don't usually report to police and Asian people usually have cash and stuff like that, but that's not right that's very wrong,"
Lee believes criminals might target Asian business people thinking they don't use banks and are often carrying large amounts of cash.
The 5th and Olney Business Association has put together a $2600 reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
"The business owners in this district care about their safety, the safety of their customers and safety in the community," said Paul Awelsworth of the Olney Business Association.
crimefighters, take action
- Multi-vehicle crash shuts down EB Pa. Turnpike 2 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 24 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 55 min ago
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 32 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
24 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
55 min ago