Woman killed in home invasion ID'd
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - November 17, 2009 (WPVI) -- Four gunmen wearing dark clothes and ski masks broke into a Southwest Philadelphia home early Tuesday morning, shot a woman in the head, pistol whipped her husband, then ransacked the house.
Tara Brooks, 41, woman was pronounced dead at 4:30 a.m. at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. She had been shot in the head.
Her husband, Kevin Brooks, 42, is being treated at the hospital for injuries to the face.
Police say, just after 4:00 a.m., the gunmen barged into the house on the 6100 block of Upland Avenue.
Neighbors called police a few moments later, when they heard gunfire.
Police are combing several blocks near the house, looking for the suspected killers.
Investigators say it looks like the home invasion started as a robbery, then for some reason turned deadly.
Tara Brooks was supposed to go to a funeral today for a man who was a father figure to her.
Now her family must plan her funeral.
Neighbors were at a loss to explain why someone would want to hurt her.
"It's just so heart-breaking," said neighbor Candy Green. "She was a good person, though. A real good person."
"It makes you sit back and say 'Why? Why her?' said neighbor Leon Brooks. "But that's it. That's the world today."
Police are looking into the possibility that Tara Brooks may have come into some insurance money connected to the funeral she was supposed to attend today, and her killers may have been looking for that money.
You can get the latest crime statistics from the Philadelphia Police by CLICKING HERE for the force's crime data mapping site.
- BIG STORIES: Get the most popular stuff on 6abc.com
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- Get the latest Philadelphia headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition