Woman hit by stray bullet in Chester has died
CHESTER - November 17, 2009 (WPVI) -- The family of a woman hit by a stray bullet in Chester, Pa. said she was taken off life support and died on Tuesday.
The victim, Kathy Stewart, 49, was in her mother's home in the William Penn development in the 300 block of Franklin Street when she was shot in the head.
Chester City Police say Stewart had just finished cleaning up after dinner and went to bed around 8:30 p.m. Sunday in a front second floor bedroom. That's when a bullet came through the wall, the bed headboard, and struck her in the head.
Stewart was rushed to Chester-Crozer Medical Center where she was placed on life support. She was determined to be brain dead on Monday.
Police say they have recovered surveillance video from a nearby church that shows three gunmen. Two were on foot, one was in a car and all were shooting at someone on Franklin Street. Police have not been able to identify them yet. They were a half-block from where Stewart was lying.
Stewart's family and friends were at the home on Monday. She is one of 10 children, and has three children of her own.
Stewart's children lost their father 10 years ago in a drive-by shooting.
"This is terrible, because they've been shooting around here a lot," said Sunday Hollman, Stewart's sister. "When I come to see my mom, I come in and I come out.
"I'm afraid," she added.
If you have information that could aid in the investigation you are urged to contact police at 610-447-7931.
pennsylvania, shooting, take action
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 9 min ago
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 35 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 28 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime 24 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
35 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off...
28 min ago