Woman hit by stray bullet in Chester has died
CHESTER - November 17, 2009 (WPVI) -- The family of a woman hit by a stray bullet in Chester, Pa. said she was taken off life support and died on Tuesday.
The victim, Kathy Stewart, 49, was in her mother's home in the William Penn development in the 300 block of Franklin Street when she was shot in the head.
Chester City Police say Stewart had just finished cleaning up after dinner and went to bed around 8:30 p.m. Sunday in a front second floor bedroom. That's when a bullet came through the wall, the bed headboard, and struck her in the head.
Stewart was rushed to Chester-Crozer Medical Center where she was placed on life support. She was determined to be brain dead on Monday.
Police say they have recovered surveillance video from a nearby church that shows three gunmen. Two were on foot, one was in a car and all were shooting at someone on Franklin Street. Police have not been able to identify them yet. They were a half-block from where Stewart was lying.
Stewart's family and friends were at the home on Monday. She is one of 10 children, and has three children of her own.
Stewart's children lost their father 10 years ago in a drive-by shooting.
"This is terrible, because they've been shooting around here a lot," said Sunday Hollman, Stewart's sister. "When I come to see my mom, I come in and I come out.
"I'm afraid," she added.
If you have information that could aid in the investigation you are urged to contact police at 610-447-7931.
pennsylvania, shooting, take action
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 18 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 11 min ago
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act