Wind turbine co. layoffs in Bucks Co.
EBENSBURG, Pa. (AP) - January 9, 2009 -- Spanish wind turbine company Gamesa plans to lay off workers at a plant in eastern Pennsylvania, but expand another operation in western Pennsylvania that is capable of making larger blades.
Gamesa plans to lay off 180 of 720 workers at its plant in Fairless Hills in Bucks County because it's not capable of turning out the larger blade. But the cutbacks there mean more work for a $50 million plant near Ebensburg in Cambria County.
Spokesman Michael Peck says the Ebensburg plant is easier to expand and was built with producing larger turbine blades in mind.
Information from: The Tribune-Democrat, http://www.tribune-democrat.com
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 53 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish