Students bring the battling 'bots!
PHILADELPHIA - March 26, 2010 -- Drexel University once again hosted the Regional Robotics competition, sponsored by the engineering non-profit group FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology).
During this year's game, called "Breakaway," two teams made up of three schools each will race robots around a 27-foot-by-54-foot field trying to score soccer balls into a goal for points. The robots will attempt to dribble soccer balls and travel through a challenging course of hills and tunnels. Each team's 'bot is remote-controlled.
Mechanics can get messy, and science, can sometimes get weird "It gets everyone motivated, pumped up, and it's just a lot of fun,"Matt Signorelli of Simple Machines told Action News.
With the way the crowd reacts, you'd think Jimmy Johnson himself was behind the wheel of one of these mechanical creations racing around at Drexel. The high school students, 1,500 of them from five states, worked on their robotic entries for months.
Down in the pit, you have to wear special protective glasses. They're not exactly worried about changing flats and refueling. They're more worried about something that is called an "encoder," and the "electromagnetic power kicker."
Precision in craftsmanship is of the essence.
Just ask Michael Czerwonk of the Robovikings. "We're putting our bumpers on, and we're also replacing our battery, and we're getting ready to go out, in two matches."
The typical engineering student tends to be male, so that's why one team, the Firebirds, has a bit of a chip on its shoulder. It's an all-girl-bot-squad and hails from Mount Saint Joseph's Academy in Flourtown.
" We gotta show 'em what's up," says Evelyn Flashner of the Firebirds.
The final rounds and award ceremonies are Saturday.
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 6 min ago
- Windy and cold today 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 10 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 38 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region 53 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 6 min ago
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad 48 min ago
- Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
48 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
53 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
38 min ago