Apple passes Microsoft as world's biggest tech co.
SEATTLE - May 27, 2010 -- Apple has surpassed Microsoft as the largest technology company in the world by market capitalization.
Apple's move comes as the company's iPhone, and now its iPad tablet computer, take on more of the personal computing tasks once handled by computers running Microsoft programs.
Market cap is the dollar value of a company's outstanding shares. During afternoon trading Wednesday, Apple Inc.'s shares rose to $248.47, pushing its market cap up to about $226 billion.
Microsoft Corp.'s stock slipped to $25.49, for market cap of about $223 billion.
The only U.S. business with a higher market value is Exxon Mobile Corp. The oil company's market cap is about $281 billion.
apple, microsoft, science/technology
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Witnesses: Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade 4 min ago
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Video: Father, son to graduate college together
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen