Apple passes Microsoft as world's biggest tech co.
SEATTLE - May 27, 2010 -- Apple has surpassed Microsoft as the largest technology company in the world by market capitalization.
Apple's move comes as the company's iPhone, and now its iPad tablet computer, take on more of the personal computing tasks once handled by computers running Microsoft programs.
Market cap is the dollar value of a company's outstanding shares. During afternoon trading Wednesday, Apple Inc.'s shares rose to $248.47, pushing its market cap up to about $226 billion.
Microsoft Corp.'s stock slipped to $25.49, for market cap of about $223 billion.
The only U.S. business with a higher market value is Exxon Mobile Corp. The oil company's market cap is about $281 billion.
apple, microsoft, science/technology
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting 27 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere 13 min ago
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs