Right Now On The Net: Sites for back to school
August 25, 2010 (WPVI) -- The dreaded words...back to school! Don't fret, we've found some great apps and websites to help ease the transition.
LINKS FOR APPS SHOWN IN VIDEO:
Any of you students who have to work on projects with other classmates should definitely check out Dropbox. This is free and it gives you plenty of space to store and share documents, images, lecture recordings and just about anything else. It also allows synchronizes files you may have on different computers or smartphones and creates a website where you can access them when you're away from your laptop.
Evernote is your virtual notebook. Use it to record voice notes during class, scribble any important details just like you would on a notebook or clip different websites that may come in handy when you're studying.
Whether it's in traditional paper form or it's on your Kindle or Android, high school and college students do a lot of reading. Before you dish out cash at the bookstore, check out Stanza. It offers 50,000 books free for download.
Of course, if students are taking advantage of technology, teachers should too, right? Schoolrack is a free application for teachers to create classroom websites. Through portals, teachers can interact with students and parents, post, collect and grade assignments and send private messages to students.
What better way to connect students to something that happened 150 years ago than to let them explore actual documents and original sources from that time? Footnote is a collection of more than 58-million historical documents that history teachers can use to make history seem more real.
We wanted to mention one more website for teachers (and kids, probably a good idea you know this one is out there). It's called DocCop. It helps teachers determine if papers are plagiarized.
science/technology, erin o'hearn
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 45 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 28 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 49 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack 14 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
49 min ago