Right Now On The Net: Sites for back to school
August 25, 2010 (WPVI) -- The dreaded words...back to school! Don't fret, we've found some great apps and websites to help ease the transition.
LINKS FOR APPS SHOWN IN VIDEO:
Any of you students who have to work on projects with other classmates should definitely check out Dropbox. This is free and it gives you plenty of space to store and share documents, images, lecture recordings and just about anything else. It also allows synchronizes files you may have on different computers or smartphones and creates a website where you can access them when you're away from your laptop.
Evernote is your virtual notebook. Use it to record voice notes during class, scribble any important details just like you would on a notebook or clip different websites that may come in handy when you're studying.
Whether it's in traditional paper form or it's on your Kindle or Android, high school and college students do a lot of reading. Before you dish out cash at the bookstore, check out Stanza. It offers 50,000 books free for download.
Of course, if students are taking advantage of technology, teachers should too, right? Schoolrack is a free application for teachers to create classroom websites. Through portals, teachers can interact with students and parents, post, collect and grade assignments and send private messages to students.
What better way to connect students to something that happened 150 years ago than to let them explore actual documents and original sources from that time? Footnote is a collection of more than 58-million historical documents that history teachers can use to make history seem more real.
We wanted to mention one more website for teachers (and kids, probably a good idea you know this one is out there). It's called DocCop. It helps teachers determine if papers are plagiarized.
science/technology, erin o'hearn
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 9 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 18 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
9 min ago