Nintendo: Wii successor coming in 2012
NEW YORK (AP) - April 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Nintendo says the successor to the hit Wii console will arrive next year, but isn't saying anything about what the new system will do.
The Japanese company says will show a "playable" model of the new console at the Electronic Entertainment Expo from June 7th to 9th in Los Angeles.
Nintendo Co. has sold 86 million Wiis since it launched in 2006. It caused a splash with its innovative motion-sensing controller, a setup since copied and elaborated on by the other major console makers, Microsoft Corp. and Sony Corp.
Also Monday, Nintendo said its annual profit dropped for the second straight year as sales declined.
nintendo, microsoft, sony, video games, science/technology
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police