Google opens Plus social network to everyone
NEW YORK (AP) - September 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- Google says it has opened up its Google Plus social network to everyone after testing it for 12 weeks. It is also adding a search capability.
Google Inc. said in a blog post Tuesday that it will now let anyone sign up for Google Plus. Previously the service was only available by invitation, though it got easier to join in recent weeks.
Google Plus is the online search leader's attempt to compete with Facebook, by far the world's most populous online social network with more than 750 million users.
Google also says its "Hangouts" feature, which lets users video chat with multiple people at a time, is now available on smartphones. The feature currently works with phones running Google's Android system. Google says support for Apple devices is coming soon.
- More Snow on the Way 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 26 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 40 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 30 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 38 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete 41 min ago
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition 45 min ago
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now!
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- More Snow on the Way
29 min ago
- Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
28 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
40 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration...
30 min ago