RIM: Next-generation phones not out till late 2012
TORONTO (AP) - December 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- BlackBerry maker Research In Motion is saying that the new phones deemed critical to the company's future won't be out until late 2012.
Mike Lazaridis, one of the company's co-CEOs, said on a conference call with analysts Thursday that the BlackBerry 10 phones will need a dual processor. He says the chipset will not be available until mid-2012, so the company can now expect the new phones to ship late in the year.
Analysts say RIM's future depends on the new software platform. RIM needs to come up with a compelling BlackBerry as U.S. users have moved on to flashier touch-screen phones such as Apple's iPhone and various competing models that run Google's Android software.
blackberry, cell phones, canada, science/technology
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 18 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 16 min ago
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 21 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
52 min ago