RIM: Next-generation phones not out till late 2012
TORONTO (AP) - December 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- BlackBerry maker Research In Motion is saying that the new phones deemed critical to the company's future won't be out until late 2012.
Mike Lazaridis, one of the company's co-CEOs, said on a conference call with analysts Thursday that the BlackBerry 10 phones will need a dual processor. He says the chipset will not be available until mid-2012, so the company can now expect the new phones to ship late in the year.
Analysts say RIM's future depends on the new software platform. RIM needs to come up with a compelling BlackBerry as U.S. users have moved on to flashier touch-screen phones such as Apple's iPhone and various competing models that run Google's Android software.
blackberry, cell phones, canada, science/technology
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville 46 min ago
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight 51 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states 43 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Search for missing college student from...
46 min ago
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit...
43 min ago
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos