Minn. bear delivers 2 cubs on Internet
ELY, Minn. (AP) - January 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 3-year-old bear in Minnesota has given birth to two cubs before an Internet audience.
Lynn Rogers of the Wildlife Research Institute, affiliated with North American Bear Center, said in a news release that Jewel gave birth in a den near Ely to the first cub at 7:22 a.m. Sunday, and a second at 8:40.
It's not the first time Rogers and his colleagues have monitored hibernating pregnant black bears.
In 2010, they recorded the birth of a bear named Hope. A Hunter killed Hope last year.
Jewel is the younger sister of Hope's mother, Lily.
Lily also gave birth last year to two cubs named Faith and Jason.
North American Bear Center: http://www.bear.org
Information from: Duluth News Tribune, http://www.duluthsuperior.com
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday 29 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School 40 min ago
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall 53 min ago
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Bitter Blast Thursday
29 min ago