Yahoo escalates patent battle with Facebook
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - April 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Yahoo's patent battle with Facebook is getting nastier.
In court papers filed Friday, Yahoo Inc. expanded its six-week-old lawsuit against Facebook to include more allegations of intellectual property theft. Yahoo says Facebook's social network infringes on 12 of its Internet patents. That's up from 10 alleged patent violations previously.
Yahoo also denied allegations that it has been infringing on 10 of Facebook's patents and accused its rival of engaging in shady behavior.
Among other things, Yahoo says Facebook violated an agreement between the two companies to notify each other of possible patent infringements before filing a court claim.
The acrimony is spilling out as Facebook Inc. is preparing to raise $5 billion in an initial public offering of stock that is expected to be the richest in Silicon Valley history.
yahoo, facebook, science/technology
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police