Ice from lake pushed ashore to doorsteps
LAKE MILLE LACS, Minn. (AP) - May 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Strong winds have pushed huge ice sheets ashore at a northern Minnesota lake and right up to people's doorsteps.
A local television station reports that the ice from Lake Mille Lacs reached the doors and windows at the Izatys Resort on Saturday morning.
National Weather Service Meteorologist Shawn Devinny says 30 to 40 mile an hour winds pushed the water into the ice, driving it ashore. He says the winds were lighter Sunday and the shoreline got a reprieve.
The Department of Natural Resources says about 10 miles of shoreline are covered, with some reaching up to 30 feet high.
minnesota, ice storm, trending
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville 21 min ago
- Brisk And Cold 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 9 min ago
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large 10 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 14 min ago
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Brisk And Cold
7 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
14 min ago