Ice from lake pushed ashore to doorsteps
LAKE MILLE LACS, Minn. (AP) - May 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Strong winds have pushed huge ice sheets ashore at a northern Minnesota lake and right up to people's doorsteps.
A local television station reports that the ice from Lake Mille Lacs reached the doors and windows at the Izatys Resort on Saturday morning.
National Weather Service Meteorologist Shawn Devinny says 30 to 40 mile an hour winds pushed the water into the ice, driving it ashore. He says the winds were lighter Sunday and the shoreline got a reprieve.
The Department of Natural Resources says about 10 miles of shoreline are covered, with some reaching up to 30 feet high.
minnesota, ice storm, trending
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 41 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J.
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos