Not a smart way to kick the habit
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - May 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- She tried to kick the habit - by slapping a cop.
Etta May Lopez decided it would be easier to give up smoking if she was someplace where it isn't allowed.
But how do you get to jail if you haven't done anything wrong?
Lopez had that covered, too.
She went up to a Sacramento, California sheriff's deputy and slapped him in the face as he left the main jail at the end of his shift.
That earned her a trip inside the jail - where Lopez slapped the officer again, this time on his arm.
Lopez pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery on a peace officer - and was sentenced to 63 days in jail - which should give her enough to abandon the smokes.
Meanwhile the deputy, Matt Campoy, says he's been given a new Irish nickname: Nick O'Derm.
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures