Coin tossing breaks tie in Philippine mayoral race
MANILA, Philippines (AP) - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- What do you do when two candidates running for mayor in the Philippines get exactly the same number of votes? You get them to toss a coin.
Marvic Feraren and Boyet Py both received 3,236 votes for mayor of San Teodoro town in Mindoro Oriental province in Monday's elections.
The Elections Commissions suggested the two men flip a coin five times each, which is allowed under the country's Election Code to break a tie.
Feraren won Tuesday, but not before a second round of coin flipping.
They tied in the first round too.
philippines, election, trending
- Police seek missing woman and her baby 59 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Philadelphia police officer's stolen SUV found
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's