Coin tossing breaks tie in Philippine mayoral race
MANILA, Philippines (AP) - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- What do you do when two candidates running for mayor in the Philippines get exactly the same number of votes? You get them to toss a coin.
Marvic Feraren and Boyet Py both received 3,236 votes for mayor of San Teodoro town in Mindoro Oriental province in Monday's elections.
The Elections Commissions suggested the two men flip a coin five times each, which is allowed under the country's Election Code to break a tie.
Feraren won Tuesday, but not before a second round of coin flipping.
They tied in the first round too.
philippines, election, trending
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 16 min ago
- Windy and cold today 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 2 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 7 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad