Alaska man runs onto frozen lake to avoid jail
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - May 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Anchorage police say a young man who didn't want to return to jail ran out onto the uncertain ice of an Alaska lake to escape officers armed with an arrest warrant.
Police spokeswoman Dani Myren says officers were sufficiently concerned about the thickness of the ice covering Cheney lake that none of them wanted to venture onto it. So a standoff ensued.
A local television station reports that police negotiators and Fire Department dive teams were staging on the lakeshore when the young man finally surrendered late Thursday afternoon.
Myren says officers went to a home earlier in the afternoon to serve 19-year-old Siaosi Sila with a warrant alleging failure to comply with probation conditions. The spokeswoman says Sila saw police as he approached the home in a vehicle, bailed out and headed for the lake.
It wasn't immediately clear why he was on probation.
alaska, dumb criminals, trending
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 9 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 46 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 24 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute 50 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 53 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 57 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 32 min ago
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 19 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 52 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
9 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
4 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
24 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card...
50 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos