Want to buy an island?
MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) - May 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's a plum piece of island real estate -- Plum Island to be exact.
Uncle Sam is selling the tiny island east of New York City.
The government has used the island for a research station on dangerous animal diseases since the 1950s.
One local real estate expert says development of the island could be worth tens of millions of dollars.
But before the island goes to the highest bidder, the town of Southold wants to have a say.
Officials are proposing to create a conservation zone covering much of the 843-acre island.
new york, animals, real estate, trending
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 2 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc. 57 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
2 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos