Colony of ants jam bell, keep woman awake
BERLIN (AP) - May 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Disturbing the peace in a provincial German town: a colony of ants.
A 75-year-woman in the southwestern town of Offenburg called police at 3 a.m. Wednesday complaining that she couldn't sleep because her doorbell was always ringing.
Police said officers dispatched to investigate the cause quickly tracked down the culprit: an ant nest next to the doorbell. They say the insects had built such a big home that the nest pressed the switching elements together, keeping the bell ringing.
Officers silenced it by removing the nest with a knife.
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 6 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 22 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 27 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 33 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 51 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 42 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 51 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
22 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
27 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
43 min ago