Colony of ants jam bell, keep woman awake
BERLIN (AP) - May 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Disturbing the peace in a provincial German town: a colony of ants.
A 75-year-woman in the southwestern town of Offenburg called police at 3 a.m. Wednesday complaining that she couldn't sleep because her doorbell was always ringing.
Police said officers dispatched to investigate the cause quickly tracked down the culprit: an ant nest next to the doorbell. They say the insects had built such a big home that the nest pressed the switching elements together, keeping the bell ringing.
Officers silenced it by removing the nest with a knife.
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ