Teacher's retirement ends picture-day streak
DALLAS (AP) - July 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Texas teacher's streak of wearing the same outfit for his school photograph is coming to an end after 40 years with his retirement.
It started as an accident. Dale Irby told the Dallas Morning News that when he received his photo in his second year he was embarrassed to discover he'd worn the same polyester shirt and brown sweater vest as the first year.
His wife dared him to wear it again the third year. Then Irby thought five would be funny. He says, "After five pictures it was like, 'Why stop?'"
Morning News columnist Steve Blow's account Sunday of Irby's photo streak garnered attention online.
The 63-year-old Garland resident retired this year as an elementary school physical education teacher in the Richardson district, north of Dallas.
dallas, texas, trending
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos