Teacher's retirement ends picture-day streak
DALLAS (AP) - July 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Texas teacher's streak of wearing the same outfit for his school photograph is coming to an end after 40 years with his retirement.
It started as an accident. Dale Irby told the Dallas Morning News that when he received his photo in his second year he was embarrassed to discover he'd worn the same polyester shirt and brown sweater vest as the first year.
His wife dared him to wear it again the third year. Then Irby thought five would be funny. He says, "After five pictures it was like, 'Why stop?'"
Morning News columnist Steve Blow's account Sunday of Irby's photo streak garnered attention online.
The 63-year-old Garland resident retired this year as an elementary school physical education teacher in the Richardson district, north of Dallas.
dallas, texas, trending
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ