'BB Gun' wins cherry-pit spitting contest
EAU CLAIRE, Mich. (AP) - July 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Matt "BB Gun" Krause has won his first-ever International Cherry Pit Spitting Championship in southwestern Michigan.
Krause was crowned the most "spit-tacular" competitor at the event held Saturday at Tree-Mendus Fruit Farm, just north of the Indiana border.
Krause's father, Rick, and older brother, Brian, had won 24 of the 39 previous championships.
Matt's win makes it 25 of 40 for the Krauses since owner Herb Teichman launched the tournament in 1974 as a lark. It marks the region's tart cherry harvest.
Teichman's daughter-in-law, Monica Teichman, says spitters braved a serious headwind Saturday, causing them not to "get any serious length" to their attempts.
She says the Krause family is "really excited" Matt won.
Matt Krause received the championship belt from last year's winner, Ron Matt of Chicago.
michigan, food, trending
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 25 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 46 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 48 min ago
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 28 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 58 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 51 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 38 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 57 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 59 min ago
- Video: Pa. contender in Sriracha search for new home 18 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
25 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
16 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
46 min ago