'BB Gun' wins cherry-pit spitting contest
EAU CLAIRE, Mich. (AP) - July 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Matt "BB Gun" Krause has won his first-ever International Cherry Pit Spitting Championship in southwestern Michigan.
Krause was crowned the most "spit-tacular" competitor at the event held Saturday at Tree-Mendus Fruit Farm, just north of the Indiana border.
Krause's father, Rick, and older brother, Brian, had won 24 of the 39 previous championships.
Matt's win makes it 25 of 40 for the Krauses since owner Herb Teichman launched the tournament in 1974 as a lark. It marks the region's tart cherry harvest.
Teichman's daughter-in-law, Monica Teichman, says spitters braved a serious headwind Saturday, causing them not to "get any serious length" to their attempts.
She says the Krause family is "really excited" Matt won.
Matt Krause received the championship belt from last year's winner, Ron Matt of Chicago.
michigan, food, trending
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies