4 wallabies recaptured after walkabout at zoo
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - July 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Four red-necked wallabies made a break for freedom after a gate was left open on the Australia exhibit at a Des Moines zoo.
Officials at Blank Park Zoo say the male wallabies, also known as boomers, didn't get very far during their Sunday night walkabout. Three of the kangaroo-like mammals were captured within hours and the fourth was picked up Monday morning.
Several workers were needed to surround and catch the marsupials whose strong hind legs can catapult them great distances at high speeds. They never left the grounds of the zoo.
A zoo spokesman says none of the wallabies were hurt during their adventure.
iowa, animals, wildlife preservation, trending
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes 20 min ago
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
40 min ago
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes
20 min ago
- Police investigate armed home invasion in...
8 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos