Fisherman gets 230-lb. tuna despite capsized boat
LIHUE, Hawaii (AP) - July 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 54-year-old fisherman is safe after his 14-foot boat capsized as he was landing a 230-pound tuna in the ocean off Hawaii.
The U.S. Coast Guard rescued Anthony Wichman on Friday after receiving a distress call from his wife.
Wichman was fishing about 10 miles southwest of Port Allen on the island of Kauai Friday morning when he hooked the Ahi tuna. Coast Guard Lt. Jessica Mickelson tells Hawaii News Now that Wichman was able to use his cellphone to call his wife for help.
The Coast Guard dispatched a helicopter to rescue Wichman. Friends arrived on another boat and were able to right Wichman's boat. They towed it - and the fish - back to port.
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos