Fisherman gets 230-lb. tuna despite capsized boat
LIHUE, Hawaii (AP) - July 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 54-year-old fisherman is safe after his 14-foot boat capsized as he was landing a 230-pound tuna in the ocean off Hawaii.
The U.S. Coast Guard rescued Anthony Wichman on Friday after receiving a distress call from his wife.
Wichman was fishing about 10 miles southwest of Port Allen on the island of Kauai Friday morning when he hooked the Ahi tuna. Coast Guard Lt. Jessica Mickelson tells Hawaii News Now that Wichman was able to use his cellphone to call his wife for help.
The Coast Guard dispatched a helicopter to rescue Wichman. Friends arrived on another boat and were able to right Wichman's boat. They towed it - and the fish - back to port.
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book