Judge fines woman who cursed at jury selection
ERIE, Pa. (AP) - July 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania woman has been fined $500 for cursing because she was frustrated with being picked to serve on a jury.
The Erie Times-News reports Erie County Judge Ernest DiSantis levied the fine Wednesday on Kathleen Port.
DiSantis told the Erie woman she was "totally out of line" and explained jury service is a duty of citizenship.
Port, whose phone number is unlisted, apologized several times but was fined nonetheless.
She told the judge she was upset because jury service would make her miss work and cost her income.
DiSantis says Port could have claimed a hardship on her jury service questionnaire, but did not.
Port was also thrown off the jury, which was picked to hear an illegal weapons case.
erie, pennsylvania news, trending
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 46 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Package prompts evac at Del. National Guard base 4 min ago
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site 44 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Boston Marathon begins under tight security 29 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!