Judge fines woman who cursed at jury selection
ERIE, Pa. (AP) - July 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania woman has been fined $500 for cursing because she was frustrated with being picked to serve on a jury.
The Erie Times-News reports Erie County Judge Ernest DiSantis levied the fine Wednesday on Kathleen Port.
DiSantis told the Erie woman she was "totally out of line" and explained jury service is a duty of citizenship.
Port, whose phone number is unlisted, apologized several times but was fined nonetheless.
She told the judge she was upset because jury service would make her miss work and cost her income.
DiSantis says Port could have claimed a hardship on her jury service questionnaire, but did not.
Port was also thrown off the jury, which was picked to hear an illegal weapons case.
erie, pennsylvania news, trending
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 48 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ