Judge fines woman who cursed at jury selection
ERIE, Pa. (AP) - July 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania woman has been fined $500 for cursing because she was frustrated with being picked to serve on a jury.
The Erie Times-News reports Erie County Judge Ernest DiSantis levied the fine Wednesday on Kathleen Port.
DiSantis told the Erie woman she was "totally out of line" and explained jury service is a duty of citizenship.
Port, whose phone number is unlisted, apologized several times but was fined nonetheless.
She told the judge she was upset because jury service would make her miss work and cost her income.
DiSantis says Port could have claimed a hardship on her jury service questionnaire, but did not.
Port was also thrown off the jury, which was picked to hear an illegal weapons case.
erie, pennsylvania news, trending
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 4 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 33 min ago
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Carolers to perform for cancer patient in...
5 min ago