Baby boy born on subway platform in DC
WASHINGTON (AP) - August 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman who gave birth to a baby boy on a Metro platform in downtown Washington is getting $100 in subway or bus fare.
Shavonnte Taylor received a handwritten note of congratulations Thursday afternoon from Metro general manager Richard Sarles. Included in the note was a $100 SmarTrip card.
Taylor gave birth Thursday morning on the platform of the busy L'Enfant Plaza station. Metro officials say she went into labor aboard a green line train bound for Greenbelt, Md. An off-duty emergency medical technician helped her off the train and delivered the baby.
Taylor and her son, Amir, were taken to a hospital in apparent good health.
Sarles wrote to Taylor that he's sure the delivery didn't go as she imagined.
washington, d.c., trending
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Finally, a nice weekend! 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Finally, a nice weekend!
7 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos