Mystery tunnel in the front yard
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) - September 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Lee Smithwick knew something was weird when his sprinkler disappeared.
As he was watering the lawn of his West Texas home, a hole opened in his yard.
The sprinkler ended up in a tunnel that had collapsed.
Now, Texas Tech historians are trying to figure out what's beneath Smithwick's property.
Texas Tech curator Scott White says the tunnel is an "interesting mystery."
A local television station reports that experts believe the tunnel constructed after a rail line was extended in the early 1900s.
It's likely the city will order the tunnel filled in for safety reasons.
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more