Art heist trial held up over lawyer's sneakers
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - September 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- A lawyer found he couldn't sneak into court late, at least not wearing jeans and blue suede sneakers.
Judge Ioan Adrian Chitoiu slapped defense lawyer Catalin Dancu with a fine of 5,000 lei ($1,148), the maximum allowed, on Tuesday for flouting dress regulations and for being late at the trial of five Romanians accused of art theft.
Dancu had a black robe over jeans and the bright blue sneakers- triple-stripe models which he said cost 200 euros ($264).
"I am scented, shaved and fresh," he said, explaining he had been delayed in another court. "I am going to contest this fine."
Proceedings were adjourned after Dancu moved for the judge to be suspended, which another court will rule on.
The five defendants are being tried for the theft of seven paintings by Picasso, Matisse and Monet among others which were stolen in October from Rotterdam's Kunsthal gallery.
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub 21 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire 19 min ago
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park...
21 min ago