Art heist trial held up over lawyer's sneakers
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - September 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- A lawyer found he couldn't sneak into court late, at least not wearing jeans and blue suede sneakers.
Judge Ioan Adrian Chitoiu slapped defense lawyer Catalin Dancu with a fine of 5,000 lei ($1,148), the maximum allowed, on Tuesday for flouting dress regulations and for being late at the trial of five Romanians accused of art theft.
Dancu had a black robe over jeans and the bright blue sneakers- triple-stripe models which he said cost 200 euros ($264).
"I am scented, shaved and fresh," he said, explaining he had been delayed in another court. "I am going to contest this fine."
Proceedings were adjourned after Dancu moved for the judge to be suspended, which another court will rule on.
The five defendants are being tried for the theft of seven paintings by Picasso, Matisse and Monet among others which were stolen in October from Rotterdam's Kunsthal gallery.
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 40 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 9 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 2 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 12 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 15 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 33 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 15 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane