Oregon bartender gets $17,500 tip
SPRINGFIELD, Ore. (AP) - October 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- An Oregon bartender just got the tip of a lifetime.
One of Aurora Kephart's regulars at Conway's Restaurant and Lounge in Springfield often tips her with Keno tickets from the Oregon Lottery. On Tuesday evening, the man who wishes to remain anonymous asked Kephart to choose two.
When she checked the numbers, Kephart's first ticket won $5. The second turned into a $17,500 gratuity.
"The look on his face was incredible," Kephart, 25, told a local newspaper. "I automatically handed it back to him; it was his ticket."
But the man wouldn't take the ticket and made Kephart sign it so she would be the only one able to collect the prize.
Kephart said 80 percent of her customers are regulars, and they were excited for her.
"The reaction was crazy," Kephart said. "Everyone was so amped up."
With the bar busy, Kephart went right back to work, her brain "scrambled" by the big tip. The next day, she claimed her prize at the Oregon Lottery office in Salem.
Kephart said she gave the man a percentage of her winnings. "I just couldn't not give him some of it," she said.
Kephart said she plans to buy a new couch with her share and save the rest. Those modest plans earned her teasing from the bar's regulars, but she had been looking for a couch before going to work Tuesday and was scared off by the prices.
"I never realized how expensive couches were," she said. "Instead of waiting till Christmas or later, now I can buy something I really need."
oregon, lottery, money, trending
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 3 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street 5 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)