Mastodon tooth found in donation box
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) - October 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Michigan charity that collects donated clothing, shoes and other items for low-income residents got a really old cast-off in a donation box: A mastodon tooth.
The remains of the extinct relative of the elephant turned up during a July pickup in Grand Rapids, a local newspaper reported. The tooth pieces and tusk are estimated to be anywhere from 12,000 to 15,000 years old. The Christian charity, called In The Image, turned the find over to the Grand Rapids Public Museum, which is adding them to its collection.
"I'd love to find out where this was from and the history behind it," said Jay Starkey, the charity's director.
The tooth is broken into two parts and is covered in lacquer. A tusk, also covered in lacquer, is hollow at one end and also may be from a mastodon.
The animals roamed North America more than 10,000 years ago, and their remains turn up from time to time in Michigan - usually buried underground. The museum already has a number of mastodon bones and the new additions will be available for loan to educators for use as a learning tool in schools.
"This is kind of an oddball way for something to come in," said Tim Priest, collections manager.
For the charity, the discovery is one of many odd donations to come in. Drugs are a common find, Starkey said. It once got a painting worth about $5,000 that ended up being donated to the museum. And it also has received an urn with someone's ashes inside.
michigan, animals, wildlife preservation, trending
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 27 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 8 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ