Evidence suggests early Britons ate roasted toads
LONDON (AP) - October 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Britons sometimes make fun of the French for feasting on frog. But now a new discovery suggests their prehistoric ancestors may have had a taste for toad.
The University of Buckingham said Wednesday that a promising excavation near Stonehenge has unearthed a host of clues about the diet of prehistoric Britons. Among them: A tiny, partially burnt leg bone which suggests the hunter-gatherers living in what's now known as the United Kingdom snacked on amphibians.
The charred bone was found alongside the remains of fish and aurochs - the wild ancestor of today's cattle - at a site called Blick Mead in the town of Amesbury, about 85 miles (135 kilometers) west of London.
Natural History Museum and University College, London, researcher Simon Parfitt said that the dig had provided experts a glimpse of a Mesolithic menu that also included fish, hazelnuts, berries, deer, and boar. He called the discovery of what appeared to be leftovers from a meal of roast toad "really intriguing."
"Being English, we don't eat frogs," he noted.
The toad finding has yet to be peer-reviewed, and one expert - Bournemouth University archaeologist Tim Darvill - expressed skepticism over what he called "the frog story."
Still, he and other outside experts voiced excitement about the dig where the bone was found, with Darvill calling it "the most significant find in the Stonehenge landscape for many years."
Andy Rhind-Tutt, a former mayor of Amesbury and the chairman of the Amesbury Museum and Heritage Trust, said the dig was turning up thousands of flint tools and animal bones, pointing to what he said may turn out to be a major prehistoric settlement just over a mile (about 2 kilometers) from the world-famous circle of standing stones.
Parfitt said the find suggests "that there's more to the site than just Stonehenge.
"There's a much deeper history to the specialness of that place," he said.
england, london, food, trending
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 41 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry 13 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 41 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 33 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing 41 min ago
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 41 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Brush fire destroys 25 acres in Burlington Co. 18 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
41 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
41 min ago
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
41 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody!
33 min ago