UK town Stilton told it can't make stilton cheese
LONDON (AP) - October 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- They make fine cheese in the English village of Stilton. Just don't call it stilton.
British authorities said Wednesday that a local pub can't market its blue-veined cheese as stilton because that name is protected by European Union legislation.
The Bell Inn has been forced to sell its cheese as "Bells Blue" rather than stilton.
The EU rules, based on British government guidelines, say the name can only apply to cheese from the English counties of Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, where it has long been made.
Stilton lies outside that area, but became renowned for selling the sharp-tasting cheese in the 18th century. It gave its name to the product, but historians are divided about whether it was traditionally made there.
A local cheese company asked the government to amend the Protected Designation of Origin rules to include Stilton. But the food ministry said it could only consider an application from the pub, because it was the maker of the cheese.
"If there were an application from the Bell Inn, we would consider it," the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said.
Bell Inn landlord Liam McGivern accused the government of rejecting the application on a technicality and vowed to fight on.
"It's ridiculous that we can't make stilton in Stilton," he said.
england, london, food, trending
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting 3 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run 4 min ago
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
3 min ago