Wolly bears predict a mild winter
HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) - November 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- If the woolly bear caterpillars are right, this winter won't be so bad.
The Hagers-town Town and Country Almanack is out with its annual woolly bear forecast.
Legend has it that markings on the caterpillars can predict the severity of the winter.
The Maryland almanac released its analysis of more than 270 caterpillars collected by area kids.
The caterpillar forecast is for a relatively mild winter in the Mid-Atlantic region.
The Hagerstown almanac is the nation's second-oldest, continuously published for 218 years.
maryland, animals, trending
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 34 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
34 min ago