Man charged in burglary swallows 2 necklaces
LARGO, Fla. (AP) - December 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man faces burglary and tampering charges after an X-ray machine revealed a dark mass near his stomach while he was being booked into jail.
Pinellas County Sheriff's officials say the mass turned out to be two necklaces stolen during a Dec. 10 burglary in Safety Harbor.
Twenty-one-year-old Joseph Ramos was arrested Dec. 11 when he was stopped for driving a vehicle that was stolen during the burglary. Various items from the home were inside the vehicle.
When Ramos was being booked into jail, he stepped on the SecurPass X-ray machine and the dark spot was identified as the necklaces. He underwent surgery to remove them. The owner later identified the items.
Jail officials have been using the X-ray machine since June to detect items concealed on inmates.
florida, burglary, dumb criminals, jewelry, trending
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 11 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 29 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ