Road sign warns 355 mph wind
CASPER, Wyo. (AP) - January 23, 2014 (WPVI) -- It's windy in Wyoming, but still. Gusts of 355 mph and more?
That's what one electronic road sign said in Casper on Saturday. The Wyoming Department of Transportation says a sign operator working from Cheyenne meant to type "35+" but mistakenly added another 5.
A local newspaper reports that the inflated wind gust message was posted for 17 minutes before the department noticed the mistake and corrected it.
The whirlwind on social media lasted longer.
One person posted a photo of the sign with the comment "CASPER WY. WHERE TORNADO ALLEY SEEMS PLEASANTLY BREEZY."
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs