Life & Community
How to get fit without a gym membership
Getting more exercise is a top New Year's resolution. But you can skip the January rush to join a gym! Consumer Reports has advice on how to set up a home gym without giving your wallet a real workout.
"All you need are a few inexpensive props and a good fitness routine to get started," said Gayle Williams, who serves as the health editor at Consumer Reports.
Take the stability ball, for instance. It can help build your core strength and improve your balance. You can also use it to tone your glutes and legs. And it only costs about $30.
Want another instant cardio workout? Try jumping rope for 15 minutes. A jump rope with nonslip foam handles is the best and costs around $6. Or you can try hula hooping. Not only is it a good cardio exercise, it's also great for your core. They to go for about $6.
"Elastic bands or tubes are another great item to have. You can use them for resistance training to strengthen and tone your muscles," Williams said of the items that go for about $8 and up.
Exercise mats are also handy. The extra cushioning is helpful for push-ups and other exercises you do on the floor. They go for about $20. Free weights are another useful tool. A pair costs anywhere from $10 to $60. "If you can, buy two pairs -- a lighter pair to work your arms and shoulders, and a heavier pair to work your back and chest," Williams said.
To develop a good exercise routine with aerobic exercise aim for 30 minutes five days a week. And do strength training two to three days a week.
Another great form of exercise that doesn't have to cost a thing is plain old walking. If the weather's not great, walk at the mall. Just be sure to skip the food court!
A pedometer is handy for tracking how much you walk. You can buy one for $20-$30 or download a pedometer app for your phone for around $4.
life & community
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 2 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 20 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 58 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 3 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 40 min ago
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 6 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
6 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos