Winter fun on a tight budget
Here are some things you can do in an uncertain economy:
Franklin Square provides amusement for children and adults alike with the very popular Philly Mini Golf, Philadelphia Park Liberty Carousel, glorious Franklin Square Fountain, two playgrounds designated for different age groups, and a surrounding picnic area. The Philadelphia Park Liberty Carousel that includes hometown horse heroes Afleet Alex and Smarty Jones, will continue operations on weekends and holiday times through the end of the year. Special activities in October include Free Movie Night in Franklin Square (Saturday, October 25 at 6:30 pm), Spooky Mini Golf, Pumpkin Patch, Trick or Treat Trail, and rides on the Lightning Bolt Express train. Other free events continue during the holiday season. Franklin Square is free and open to the public year-round, with the exception of the Philadelphia Park Liberty Carousel and Philly Mini Golf, which require paid tickets. Winner - Best of Philly 2007 as Best Play Space for Kids.
October-December: 11am - 8pm, Fridays through Sundays, December 19 - December 31: 11am - 7pm daily. (closed Christmas Day).
Franklin Square is available for birthday parties or special events. For more information, call (215) 629-4026 or visit www.historicphiladelphia.org.
Washington Crossing Historic Park Relive December 1776 and witness Washington Crossing the Delaware River, a free, annual reenactment staged at 1:00 p.m. on Christmas Day at. A reenactment rehearsal, set for 1:00 p.m. on December 7, 2008, is accompanied by family-friendly activities throughout the day. Routes 32 & 532, Washington Crossing, (215) 493-4076.
Under I-95, in South Philadelphia: watch the Mummers practicing their dance steps: get a preview of the parade. You can see Brigades and String Bands practicing from 10am on, under I-95 from Washington Ave., South Street to Snyder Avenue.
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 53 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 16 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township 22 min ago
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 49 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 49 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Street-level interactive weather map
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos